Cindy @ Japan

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Nikko!


Beautiful right? This is Shinkyo (Sacred bridge, or 神橋) in Nikko. [Side note: Haha...I've figured out how to type in Japanese on my laptop!]

It is the first day of my parents’ and my Japanophile Uncle Jack’s 12-day visit. They took a train to Nikko after arriving in Narita and I drove to Nikko to meet them. The weather was good – sunny but cold. Somehow temperatures ranging from 3-7 deg do not exactly feel like autumn.

We took it easy for the first day (also because I arrived at 1pm!). Just walked around, soaked in the inn’s onsen before going for dinner.

Random scenic shots


Before going to Nikko, I never saw any mention of a signature food item for Nikko. But after spending 3 days in Nikko, I can say with confidence that Nikko’s speciality food item has got to be yuba (pronounced you-ba). It is basically like bean curd skin (something like the tow kee we have back home). Every menu I flipped through had yuba listed on it. And they prepare it in a variety of ways – roll it up like a large sushi roll before slicing it or smaller single loose pieces. It is also cooked in many ways - steamed, fried, with soba, in soup, and even in green tea jelly as a dessert! It's yummy!

More on Nikko coming up...

3 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is a great photo opportunity for the bridge if you have the chance to go there again..Compose the same shot again with more river showing, and make sure you use the smallest aperture possible and at the smallest ISO (100 probably). That should slow down the shutter speed enough, and you will get the river coming out as a smooth surreal blur. Go try it out !

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Cindy @ Japan said…

    Does that mean that I should use a tripod (else other stuff apart from the river might be blurry too right)? Not that I have immediate plans of returning to Nikko!

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yup, recommend a tripod of course..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home