Cindy @ Japan

Sunday, September 03, 2006

八海山 Hakkai-san school hike

This year, I could choose between joining the 1st and 2nd graders for a 21-km challenge run/walk or climb Hakkai-san with the 3rd graders again. Decided to join the 3rd graders cos I really like their company. Throughly regretted my decision once we hit the part where we had to use chains to climb up (and later down). Thankfully, that was the only blotch in my experience.

I managed to get myself assigned to the group of girls I like. Hee...the wonders of pulling strings. ;P


Unlike last year, which was simply too cloudy to see any view, we managed to catch a glimpse of the valley when the clouds parted every now and then. Beautiful!

There are many little shrines and bells along the way. Everytime we passed a bell, everyone would ring it. (Oh, on a completely unrelated matter, the Mt. E-mei nuns' hairdo is very popular in summer. Quite a number of girls and even a teacher (!) sport that bun perched on the top of their heads look, like Mikako in the picture. I think it looks awful!)

The final push

Finally, we arrive at the summit. The post was carried up by one of the parents. It represents the wish of this year's graduating class.

At the summit, we had our lunch and rested for a bit. Name-chan (pronounced nah-may)having a siesta.

Yay! After a 2-hour descent, we reach the ropeway station. Check out the cool cafe with a view.

(L-R) Nana, Taeko, Saya and Azusa were happy that the climb is over.

On the ride down, we were all chanting "su-i-ca" (suica means watermelon in Japanese) in anticipation of the watermelons waiting for us at the bottom of the mountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home